Weight Control, Health Tests, Magnesium, Shingles
In This Issue:
- Early-Warning Tests to Protect Your Health
- Are You Magnesium Deficient?
- Keeping the Fat OFF!
- 5 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight
- Pox, Shingles, & Shenanigans
You’ll Find More Fascinating Health Posts on Our Facebook Page –
Happy Beltaine, the first day of summer in the old Celtic calendar. It sure feels like summer here in Sonoma County, CA. I am loving it. Bring on the flowers!
There is one thing I want to share with those of you who are interested in Celtic Shamanism and the Faery Realm. Sarah Dole and I will be leading a Celtic Shamanism workshop in the beautiful Camp Meeker redwoods right here in Sonoma County, on the weekend of June 24th and 25th. It is called Mid-Summer Journeys in the Faery Realm, and I’m really looking forward to it. I know it will be wonderful. For more information visit –http://www.celticmysteryschool.com/events/workshops/
As always, I would love to hear what you want to read about. Feel free to send requests, suggestions, or any sort of feedback. I appreciate hearing from my readers. Email Bernadette
To your health!
If you are not feeling your best, or even if you just want to be well informed about what is going on in your body, you may want to spring for some of these tests. Many of them may not be covered by conventional health insurance companies, but when your health is at stake, it could be time to take matters into your own hands. From GreenMedinfo.com:
EDS [see article] is just one of several tests that can be used to identify the stressed or weakened stages of cellular deterioration. The following are some of the other tests used by holistic or functional medicine practitioners:
1. Thermography – This test uses infrared heat sensing to determine if cells are producing heat caused by inflammation, angiogenesis or hyperactivity. It can detect over 200 early stage cellular changes. In terms of breast cancer, thermography can see problematic cells 8 to 10 years before mammograms can see anything.
2. ALCAT – This blood test can detect various levels of food sensitivity, which can cause digestive issues, as well as other chronic conditions. This type of inflammation can also deplete energy from the immune system leading to increased vulnerability to illness.
3. Electro Dermal Screening – This test measures the electrical output of our organs and systems producing an accurate early warning of impending disease. Electrical output will increase 5 to 10 years before most conventional medical tests can detect any developing health problem.
4. C-reactive protein – This is a blood test that measures the amount of inflammation in our bodies, which is probably a better indicator of possible heart problems than cholesterol tests.
5. Glucose tolerance test – This blood test measures the ability of the pancreas and our cells to process ingested sugar. It can indicate potential risk for diabetes 5-7 years before the A1C or total fasting glucose test.
6. Vitamin D3 – This blood test measures the level of vitamin D3 in our blood, which is crucial for the prevention of many diseases. Women with high levels of vitamin D3 have a 77% lower risk for breast cancer.
7. Early CDT lung test – This blood test can detect early cellular changes in lung cells; about 5 years before a CT scan. It is 91% accurate, whereas the CT scan has an accuracy rating of 51%.
8. Galectin 3 – This is an early stage biomarker for heart disease and cancer. It measures potential fibrosis build up, which is the beginning of these diseases.
9. NT pro BNF – This is a prohormone biomarker that is an excellent indicator of possible future heart problems. Low levels occur before any conventional heart symptoms do, which means it has value as an early detection test.
10. Red Drop TK test – Thymidine kinase is a protein that increases when cells begin their journey towards cancer. This pre-system test indicates cellular changes years before standard tests, such as CT scans, MRI’s and mammograms can see anything.
I know it can get expensive to hire a holistic doctor and pay for all these tests out of pocket, but not as expensive and disruptive as the life-threatening diseases they may help to prevent.
If you are the “do it yourself” type, like me, check out http://www.directlabs.com. You can order your tests online, go down to the branch in your area to get the tests, and they will email you the results. A quick internet search will help you understand your results. If some of the results are concerning, you can take them to a holistic doctor who can help you figure out how to correct the problems. If the results look good, you’ll be able to relax and enjoy life knowing that your health will most likely be great for years to come. Read more –
Magnesium deficiency may be the most rampant and unnoticed form of malnutrition in our industrialized world. Unfortunately, there is no good test available to determine whether you have enough in your body, but there are some important tell-tale signs when you don’t have enough. Do any of these symptoms sound familiar to you? From Liveinthenow.com:
- Muscle cramps and spasms
- Chocolate cravings
- Sensitivity to being tickled
Many of these symptoms are rampant today, though the last two were a surprise to me. I love it when I learn something new! If you are deficient, you probably won’t be able to get back in balance without taking a magnesium supplement. There is just not enough magnesium in most of our modern foods to counteract all the calcium that is added to so many products today. I use Calm brand magnesium powder, which some experts claim is the best. Avoiding dairy products and foods with added calcium will also be helpful. (And by the way, supplemental calcium is not what your bones need to be strong, unless it comes from food. Bones need a whole range of minerals, including food based calcium, magnesium, silicon, strontium, vanadium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, and boron.) Read more –
Aside from toxins in the body causing fat to accumulate, and having the wrong sort of gut flora (because of poor diet, exposure to glyphosate/RoundUp, antibiotic use, or other factors), there is another factor in the weight control battle that I had never heard about before. From healthyexaminer.com blog:
Why is it so hard to lose weight and keep it off? Weight loss often leads to declines in our resting metabolic rate – how many calories we burn at rest, which makes it hard to keep the weight off. So why does weight loss make resting metabolism go down, and is there a way to maintain a normal resting metabolic rate after weight loss? As someone who studies musculo-skeletal physiology, I will try to answer these questions.
Activating muscles deep in the leg that help keep blood and fluid moving through our bodies is essential to maintaining resting metabolic rate when we are sitting or standing quietly. The function of these muscles, called soleus muscles, is a major research focus for us in the Clinical Science and Engineering Research Center at Binghamton University. Commonly called “secondary hearts,” these muscles pump blood back to our heart, allowing us to maintain our normal rate of metabolic activity during sedentary activities.
It is amazing to me that a simple leg muscle movement could make the difference between regaining fat and keeping it off, but that’s what this article is all about. Read on to find out more –
Here are some other reasons you may find it challenging to maintain your ideal weight. From GreenMedinfo.com:
- liver toxicity – Proteins play an important role in the detox process, helping transport waste to your liver for detoxification and elimination through the kidneys. Many foods and other factors are quite hard on the liver including excess sugar, trans fats, medications, insufficient fiber, and overdoing caffeine and alcohol. Only when you bring your liver back to full function will you lose this fat.
- bile and the gallbladder – Whether you still have your gallbladder or not, there are strategies for increasing both the quality and quantity of your bile. I have found a combination of six specific nutrients that does the trick: choline, taurine, beet root, pancreatic lipase, ox bile, and collinsonia root.
- fluid trapped in their body tissues – replace table salt with herbs (parsley, cilantro, fennel, and anise), lemon juice, and iodine-rich seaweed gomasio
- insufficient omega-6 fats – a GLA supplement may be just the ticket to get things moving again. The best natural sources are borage oil and black currant oil.
- parasites could be sabotaging your health and weight loss efforts – risk factors for parasite exposure include travel, pets, daycares, restaurant dining, raw and undercooked foods (especially pork and sushi), and drinking tap water.
It can be a real challenge to track down causes of any health issue, but weight gain seems to be one of the most challenging, because there are so many possible factors. Maybe you “do everything right,” eat well, exercise, join weight loss groups, and the whole nine yards, but the progress you make doesn’t last. If that is your situation, I hope you will find something in this newsletter that will be the key you have been looking for. Read more –
Where to begin? Here are two disturbing articles about chicken pox vaccine results and the relationship with shingles, and the failure of the shingles vaccine. The best thing would be for you to read the articles I’ve linked below and come to your own conclusions. This is a complex and far-reaching issue that can’t be encapsulated in a short article here.
Briefly, the “success” of the chicken pox vaccine has caused a new epidemic of the much more serious shingles disease. Not only will suppression of symptoms within our body lead to worse consequences down the road, but it looks like suppression of one disease in our collective body will do exactly the same thing. We keep pretending that we know better than Nature, but again and again we find out that Nature knows best.
And if you think the solution is to go out and get a shingles shot, read the second article before you do. (FYI, I’ve read that keeping your B12 level high can prevent shingles. B12 is another deficiency that is rampant in our industrialized world. VeganSafe B-12 is an excellent brand.) Read more –